Slider Events 06-01 LR.jpg

METEORITES

METEORITES ARE MULTI-BILLION YEAR OLD REMNANTS OF MATTER THAT FORMED DURING THE FORMATION OF OUR SOLAR SYSTEM OR EVEN PREDATE OUR SOLAR SYSTEM. DUE TO AN EXPLOSION BETWEEN A GAS NEBULA AND A COLLAPSING STAR, THE IMMENSE PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE FORCED PROTONS TO FUSE TOGETHER FORMING HEAVIER ELEMENTS. THIS PROCES CONVERTS MATTER INTO AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF ENERGY AND GAVE BIRTH TO OUR SUN. 99.8% OF ALL MATERIAL IN THIS GAS NEBULA WAS ABSORBED BY THE SUN, THE REMAINING 0.2% FORMED INTO PLANETS, MOONS AND ASTEROIDS.

 

ASTEROIDS ARE OBJECTS COMPOSED OF ROCK (SOMETIMES METAL) BODIES ORIGINATED FROM VARIOUS SOLAR SYSTEMS, FLOATING IN SPACE . METEORITES ARE FRAGMENTS OF ASTEROIDS, THAT SURVIVED PASSING THROUGH STELLAR ATMOSPHERES LIKE THAT OF THE EARTH AND IMPACTING THE PLANETARY SURFACE.

 

MOST OF THE METEORITES FOUND ON EARTH COME FROM THE ASTEROID BELT THAT’S LOCATED BETWEEN MARS AND JUPITER CALLED « THE MAIN BELT » .

 

THERE ARE 3 TYPES OF METEORITES: STONY, STONY-IRON AND IRON METEORITES.

CHONDRITE

CHONDRITES ARE CONSIDERED TO ME THE MOST COMMON VARIETY OF METEORITES, MAKING UP ROUGHLY 87% OF FINDS GLOBALLY. THE NAME "CHONDRITE" METEORITE COMES FROM THE FACT THAT THESE STONY METEORITE CONTAIN "CHONDRULES", THESE ROUNDED OBJECTS ARE IN FACT PREVIOUSLY (PARTIALLY) MOLTEN SILICATE MINERALS LIKE OLIVINE AND PYROXENE AND ARE CONSIDERED TO BE SOME OF THE OLDEST OBJECTS IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM. THIS METEORITE SLICE VERY NICELY DISPLAYS THESE ROUND CHONDRULES.

 

PRICE ON REQUEST

METEORITE SLICE

PALLASITE

ROUGHLY 4.6 BILLION YEARS OLD (AS OLD AS THE SUN).

ONE OF THE RAREST METEORITES ON EARTH ONLY 0,2% OF THE METEORITES FOUND ARE PALLASITES.

STONY IRON METEORITE + YELLOW OLIVINE GEMSTONES FROM SPACE.

THE METALS CRYSTALIZED INTO A DETAILED PATTERN CALLED A WIDMANSTÄTTEN PATTERN.

 

THIS PIECE IS DISCOVERED IN RUSSIA IN 2004.

PRICE ON REQUEST

METEORITE SLICE

LUNAR

METEORITE

LUNAR METEORITES OR LUNAITES, ARE MOON FRAGMENTS THAT WERE EJECTED BY THE IMPACT OF AN ASTEROIDAL METEOROID OR A COMET. DUE TO THE GRAVITATIONAL FIELD OF THE EARTH, IT COULD TAKE THE METEORITE A FEW YEARS TO THOUSANDS OF YEARS TO FALL ON THE EARTH'S SURFACE.

FOUND IN NORTH-WEST AFRICA

NOT FOR SALE

MARTIAN

METEORITE

MARTIAN METEORITES ARE FRAGMENTS THAT ORIGINATE FROM MARS AND BY IMPACT WITH AN ASTEROIDAL METEOROID OR COMET ARE HURLED INTO SPACE.

THESE METEORITES ARE CONSIDERED TO BE AMONGST THE MOST HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER METEORITES DUE TO THEIR EXTREME RARITY.

FOUND IN ALGERIA

 

 

NOT FOR SALE

IRON

METEORITE

THIS SOLID PIECE OF CRYSTALIZED NICKEL-IRON WEIGHTS OVER 140KG. THIS METEORITE ORIGINATED FROM THE ASTEROID BELT BETWEEN JUPITER AND MARS. THIS WAS MOST LIKELY THE CORE OF A MUCH LARGER ASTEROID THAT HAD A STONY OUTER CRUST. THIS CRUST BURNED AWAY UPON ENTERING OUR ATMOSPHERE AT AROUND 32.000KM/H FOR IMPACTING MAINLAND CHINA.

 

PRICE ON REQUEST

IRON

METEORITE

THIS IS A IRON METEORITE MADE AS A NECKLACE PENDANT AND IS SET IN WHITE 18K GOLD,

EVERY METEORITE IS UNIQUE, SO PLEASE ASK FOR PICTURES.

(METEORITE IN THE PICTURE IS SOLD)

ORIGIN URUGUAY

PRICE ON REQUEST FOR OTHER METEORITES

1st PICTURES OF THE MOON BY NASA

1/5
  • Facebook Black Round
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle

© 2020 by GRANADA GALLERY

NEWSLETTER

Join the GRANADA GALLERY 

community and be the first to receive exclusive news on design updates, limited editions and special events.

THE COMPANY

MY SETTINGS

CUSTOMER SERVICE